NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bit of a waste really

Doley68

The forecast was good so out I came expecting the best night of the year so far (not difficult!).

Blimey, the seeing is bad! I couldn't achieve very good focus on Jupiter & could just make out the GRS. Even doubles were hard, Iota leonis was a shimmering blob. I have Mars in the eyepiece now but just a wobbly orange blob. Even the moon was jiggling about.

Time to slide the roof back on I think. Bit of a let down really.

Hopefully better tomorrow.

Chris.

The skies were very grubby yesterday; I'd been out walking during the day and had noticed how much thin high cloud there was around. By the time night feel it was extremely murky, though clear, and everything washed out by the quarter moon which was boiling through the 'scope. Having said that I had a look at a fuzzy Jupiter (Too late for GRS), a fuzzy Mars (Occasional glimpse of ice-cap, fuzzy blob when barlowed) and a few open and globular clusters. Here's hoping I can persuade my wife to come out and see some planets and the moon tonight!

DD

Ay, sometimes there're nights like that, Chris :embarrassed: What adds to the frustration is that the clarity of the sky can be amazing but for one reason or another the seeing is just pig-awful. If you're at a dark sight on such an occassion, it's an idea simply to avoid solar system objects and go straight for the faint fuzzies which I find are generally less susceptible to rubbish seeing. Astronomy can be a very frustrating pursuit but don't beat yourself up or put yourself down. I look forward to another report soon :grin: .

Well, I got out again last night(Sunday). Although seeing was a bit variable, it was much better than Saturday and I was treated to a great view of the double shadow transit and also watched Io transit across the darkened limb of Jupiter. Very nice.

Also spent some time on the moon. My eleven year old daughter was extremely impressed and often comes out with me now and wants to join our local astronomical society. Good all round.

Looking forward to getting some decent observing in now that the UK has stopped doing an impression of Atlantis!

Chris

Archived