NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quality but relative cheap

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your first post it reads that you have a scope of some sort, if so what is it?

I looked a while back foir astronomy clubs in The Netherlands and I could not see anything at matched the amateur clubs here. I suspect that it simply meant I was unnable to get the search criteria right.

Now dark locations not far from where you live, that makes me wonder which part of The Netherlands you are in, care to let me know.

Some years ago (too many) I was in Hengelo then Alkmaar.

What is the budget you expect to have for a scope?

I live at the coast (The Hague) and it gets pretty dark

I really don't have a clue for what I have, it's just a really simple thing that doesn't even have eyepieces that really fit

I would like to stay under/round €200, that's like £165, just because I don't know how much I will be able to save

But my eyes are really falling for that Skywatchers Heritage 130P, due to the fact I can carry it in one hand

The catch with the 130P is that although small it really needs a table to sit on, meaning you need to transport a table as well. Then it gets a little more difficult.

You will soon get fed up of sitting on the ground.

In the end it is about tradeoffs and may not be ideal, but personally it never bothered me, with other scopes you may want a chair, standing is not ideal either. What I found is that sitting down you can position yourself quite well and have a really steady head viewing through it, if the grass is wet you can always carry a little roll up mat. When I use this scope at home I tend to sit on the ground with it more often than not, instead of standing and using it on a table.  I find that a better compromise  than using my bigger Dob while standing, where  I would need a chair for long sessions.  

No doubt in Holland you can find a spot somewhere with a table anyway or a bench, Dutch parks are good for that if you prefer standing you can use a table in the park.

Behold! The Trolley Dob!

Rachel with The Dob

I had exactly the same problem as you with portability - my observing site is a park that's five minutes walk from my first floor flat. I'm also pretty puny so can't lift anything too heavy, let alone a 15kg telescope down to the park. Thanks to the good people of SGL a solution presented itself - put the Dob on a trolley. A fishing trolley to be exact. I use a 150P and it's pretty easy getting it down to the park and back, and the views with it are brilliant. It cost me £275 for Dob and trolley, so may be more than you're willing to spend. You could probably do the same thing with the 200P, but I'm glad I went for the 150P because I can handle the weight happily. Not sure those extra 7kg would have been a good idea...

I was also sorely tempted to go for the 130P, so I don't think you can go wrong with that one.

DD

Brilliant !

But I think I will get a lot of staring eyes with that thing xD I have to cross a really busy road and it's not really a thing here to go star gazing

Although the big one does look good, but it'll take me way longer to save for, £275 is like €330, for now a little to much above budget

Think about a Meade etx 70' 80 or 90 AT. You can get them with a carry case and tripod case. I have one for a pick up and go and they are light and easy to carry.

You can pick theses up on eBay for under €200 second hand and they also have a GOTO autostar finder.

Good luck in your choice.

Hi Wenskir,

You might want to look up Robtics, they are based in Den Haag and I believe they might even have a show room so you may get a chance to see a scope up close.

They have a telescopes for starters section on their website.

I have never used them so I have no idea of the service they offer but at least they are close and the website is in Dutch...

There is also the TE-les-Koop website for second hand kit that they and some other Dutch astro retailers seem to sponsor. Again I have never used it but there are a few other Dutch astro addicts on here who may...

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I already checked there website.

If I buy the one I want on teleskop, it will cost me €169 plus €12 (maybe more) shipping cost

If I buy it at Robtics, it'll cost me €189, but I will be helped on the spot and if something's wrong with the scope, I can go back in 30 minutes

I already checked there website.

If I buy the one I want on teleskop, it will cost me €169 plus €12 (maybe more) shipping cost

If I buy it at Robtics, it'll cost me €189, but I will be helped on the spot and if something's wrong with the scope, I can go back in 30 minutes

Yes you are right. With a cheap scope the price difference is too little to bother.

Regarding the whole 'Sitting on the ground' thing - I just use a folding Vango camping chair and sit on the chair next to it. I have to lean forward to look through the eyepiece - but unless I'm trying to look straight up (which is awkward with dobsonian mounts like this anyway), or very low to the horizon, I find it comfortable enough. It was suggested to me by a wheelchair user who'd had one.

It's definitely my 'scuttle outside quickly' arrangement. Eyepieces in pockets, scope, seat, headtorch and go!

That  sounds like an excellent arrangement for the Heritage Andy.  something like this perhaps would do, very cheap and light and something you could carry.

http://www.caseysoutdoorleisure.co.uk/item/Vango/Balmoral-Stool/3Z0?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&gclid=CJWLi4PggL0CFWXnwgodzzUANw

In the garden I'd been tempted to drag out the bean bag on occasion, very comfy, but I'd probably find myself waking up in the morning in daylight :D

I know it's gonna take a while before I'll have enough money but I'm still curious

Will I be able to upgrade the Heritage 130P to something I can also photograph with in he future ?

Or do I really have to save for a more advanced one in the future and just start with this for planets, stars and DSO

Archived