NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher explorer 190 mn with heq5 mount?

I'm still looking and a long way off buying. Does anyone have experience of this and is it huge? It seems to be a good all rounder for both planets and deep sky. How will it perform in light polluted skies? Is it a big beast?

Sorry, I feel I'm wasting time until I get to the shops but noticed this and thought I'd ask. Many thanks.

This is what I just responded in Your other topic:

It´s a fantastic Scope. Optimised for imaging. It´s also a very heavy beast! Tube alone is 10kg! So as you are looking for something portable, not really an option to be honest.

For pure Visual, this scope would still need at least a HEQ5 Pro or Advanced VX Mount. Pushing you beyond your budget.

Because it´s a primarily photographic instrument, the package deals are often with the NEQ6 Pro Mount (which is also a very heavy mount).

So for pure Visual observation you can get away with this scope on a HEQ5 Pro. But it isn´t exactly a portable setup. Unless you changed Your mind on the "portable" part? ;)

Yes, as above, the MN190 is much happier on an NEQ6 than an HEQ5. They take a bit of effort to set up correctly, but an outstanding telescope if you have the patience for it.

Thanks both, I need to clap my eyes on these things don't I, they look so small on the 'net? The more I think about it i am probably going to do most of my observing from the garden. The streetlights are turned off early now so better than it was plus there is forest out the back so dark in that direction. I also have a big mostly uninterrupted view of the sky as we're on a hill. So I suppose I need to make a decision portability vs performance. I wanted some portability to take on UK trips but I think it would have to be fairly small to transport in the car with all the kids, husband, bikes and whatnot. 

The MN190 is really optimized for imaging. To get the best out of it, the focusser, corrector, secondary and primary mirrors have to be very carefully aligned. To get this right for imaging can be a pain if you don't have the right tools and a clear understanding what you are doing. For visual use though, it could be that you can get away with less than perfect collimation.

Have a read through this thread for more depth http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/186605-how-critical-is-collimation/

Archived