SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Establishing a zero point and polar aligning

osbourne one-nil

New mount yesterday, an hour of clear skies tonight; that's not bad. 

So, if I establish a zero point (I've found a good youtube guide on how to do this) is this my start point every time I polar align? I'm guessing as long as the mount is level, the zero-point is valid?

Also, when I put down the mount, I assume I use the finder, or the scope itself to align it towards the pole star and then refine it with the polar scope? 

At what point do I level the mount, before or after I've roughly aligned it? I ask because there's no level ground for 30 miles around here, and surely levelling it can affect even rough orientation? The amount of adjustment available with the latitude adjustments doesn't seem much. 

Sorry if these seem simple questions - I am simple. 

First off which mount do you have?  But in general the first thing you do is level the tripod. Then put the mount on without scope or weights and polar align using the polar scope.  If you are not using the setting circles (most of us don't) then it matter not if your mount is in the home position or not.

Once you have polar aligned you then make sure your mount is in home position (counter weight bar facing straight down) and add weights and scope.   If all is well you will be able to see Polaris in your scope but it will not be cantered, just get it so it is roughly in the centre of the circumference either at the top or bottom of the view.  And you are ready to go.

If in EQ mode I suppose you treat it like any other, so yes it will be easier to adjust but with this mount it may be easier unloaded becuse it looks like the alt setting is the same mechanism that makes it go from Alt Az to EQ. And remember when Polar aligning you have to use both Alt and Az adjustments.

Archived