NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leica zoom issue

101nut

I've just bought a Leica ASPH 8.9-17.8 zoom eyepiece second hand and I have to say it seems to live up to its billing as a blindingly good zoom with decent eye relief (which was my real problem!)

However, it's necessarily on a 1.25" adapter. The adaptor is not a problem in most of my scopes but on my Celestron Regal M2 spotting scope I can't get focus beyond 30 feet or so. The field stop is at the shoulder of the adapter (rather than close to the end of the tube in the current eyepiece). Anyone know of a method or a lower profile adaptor than the standard Leica one to give a bit more 'in-travel' - a 1/4" may be enough?

AndyG

It's not machining one that's the whole issue.

The standard Leica bayonet fitting is too large to fit in a 1.25 tube - I think I can gain about 3mm over the current AMP adaptor, a bit more if I use a thin steel bottom plate on an adaptor ring, before the bayonet bottoms out on the top of the Celestron self-centering eyepiece holder - but that probably still isn't enough. I could remove the wings of the eyepiece bayonet but that's a bit drastic ...

AndyG

Archived