NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In at the deep end so here we go...

I'm still trying to decide on a scope... any help / advice gratefully recieved.

I 'HAD' decided on going for a Celestron CPC 1100, but, after going to a couple of astro events in the Brecon Beacons with BSIA I'm not too sure if its the right choice.

I've not had a proper telescope before, just used a Spotting Scope and a pair of bino's.

I want (don't we all) a one stop fix to do all that I want...there's that 'I want' again...  I think a compromise will have to be the only way to start, I want to view both Planets and deep sky, both with the possibility of doing astro photography.

I've heard (and seen) that a lot of imagers use either CGEM or EQ mounts but I don't understand what the differences are or why, also that a fork mount may not be the best option either.

So, here I am again, back at square on.

Over to SGL, let the enthusiasm roll, and I may even come out of this knowing which way to go..

Sorry about the saga, but need as much help as poss

MJK

CGEM and EQ are basically the same, GEM = German Equitorial Mount.

If you want a scope to throw in a car and go then you really need a small scope, look at the 5" and 6" Mak/SCT's. You can get one with GPS. If Alt/Az is OK then consider the iOptron Cube mounts they have GPS.

Fork mount is usually an Alt/Az and the mount is unsuited to DSO long exposure imaging.

A Mak/SCT is also generally unsuited to DSO long exposure imaging.

Visual DSO and Imaging DSO are different criteria.

Visual is big scope and small mount.

Imaging is small scope and big mount.

That is about as simple as it can be looked on.

Decision time: What one do you want to do, visual or imaging, or spend LOTS of money ahd do both? LOTS = About £3000-4000 depending on how serious. Before you think that is extreme a good imaging scope can easily be £3000 alone.

CGEM and EQ are basically the same, GEM = German Equitorial Mount.

If you want a scope to throw in a car and go then you really need a small scope, look at the 5" and 6" Mak/SCT's. You can get one with GPS. If Alt/Az is OK then consider the iOptron Cube mounts they have GPS.

Fork mount is usually an Alt/Az and the mount is unsuited to DSO long exposure imaging.

A Mak/SCT is also generally unsuited to DSO long exposure imaging.

Visual DSO and Imaging DSO are different criteria.

Visual is big scope and small mount.

Imaging is small scope and big mount.

That is about as simple as it can be looked on.

Decision time: What one do you want to do, visual or imaging, or spend LOTS of money ahd do both? LOTS = About £3000-4000 depending on how serious. Before you think that is extreme a good imaging scope can easily be £3000 alone.

Thanks for the reply, do you think a CGEM 1100 would be adequate for just Planetary imaging or DSO. What would be 'your' recomendation for a 2nd scope if this would only suit one type of use.

The reason I ask is that I don't know what would be considered either big or small in either scope or mount options.

Cheers

MJK

I'd be tempted to research the heck out of imaging first. I know that the SCT design isn't best suited to DSO imaging but are very capable for planets. You run the risk of buying a set up that will be a compromise if you try and buy all things to all men. Or at least making your life super difficult. Long focal length isn't forgiving with DSO imaging.

You will need an equatorial mount at least and a big one at that if you plan on using an 11" SCT to image.

It may be like trying to buy a fast racing car that can be used for the Paris Dakar rally. There will be compromises.

I'm new and probably give bad advice but I think lots of people want what you want so I'll be interested to see replies from the veterans

Good luck

Max

For deep sky imaging, the mount is the most important component and it MUST be an equatorial one - the CGEM is a Celestron German Equatorial Mount so it is suitable for DSO imaging. However, I would urge you not to consider an SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope) for starting out in deep sky imaging as its long focal length will cause you all manner of grief! An SCT is at its happiest as a Lunar or planetary observing instrument - it can be pressed into service for deep sky imaging if you use a focal reducer but again, not really when you are starting out as it will still have a substantially long focal length which will tax you and the mount when it comes to accurate tracking during long exposures.

A quick look around at the many excellent deep sky images posted on SGL will show a common theme - short focal length refractors on substantial equatorial mounts. There is a very good set of reasons for this.

On the other hand, if you want to image planets and get close up to the Moon then an SCT would be a good choice.

Tread carefully and decide what you really want to do! If you want the best of both worlds, by all means buy an SCT for observing and then buy something like a Sky-Watcher ED 80 or William Optics GT-81 refractor for deep sky imaging BUT mounted on a good equatorial mount!

Archived