NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 5se Eyepieces?

howdy

I am a complete novice, been looning around on various sites and forums,

i recently aquired a nexstar 5se to get me up and running, it came with a 25mm EP.

been thinking about buying some EP's, to avoid wasting money on the wrong size or type,

what do other nexstar owners reccomend?

I was looking at celestron luminos 7mm and 10mm would they work with the 5SE which has

a focal range of 1250?    oh and would I need a barlows?

many thanks and sorry for sounding dumb

Panner

Hello,

I used to own a 127 SLT which is identical to the 5SE (the only difference is the mount and the paint job of the ota). I started out on my ep collection with the Baader Hyperions. They are excellent and do well in our scopes. What do you want to spend though? They are £100 a go, but they are modular and can be switched to a different focal length with the addition of the fine tuning rings that Baader do for them, so you theoretically can get 4 eyepieces in 1. Might be something to think about? 

Hello,

I used to own a 127 SLT which is identical to the 5SE (the only difference is the mount and the paint job of the ota). I started out on my ep collection with the Baader Hyperions. They are excellent and do well in our scopes. What do you want to spend though? They are £100 a go, but they are modular and can be switched to a different focal length with the addition of the fine tuning rings that Baader do for them, so you theoretically can get 4 eyepieces in 1. Might be something to think about? 

Sorry but you are mistaken the 127slt and the 5se are quite different scopes the mount  electronics and mechanics are the same under the skin but the 127 is a mak cassegrain f11.81  and the 5se is a schmidt cassegrain  f9.84

This is for  the op as I am sure that malc knows the difference.

this means the 5se has a shorter focal length and slightly wider fov. It  cools down slightly quicker than the mak as the front corrector is not so thick but also has a slightly larger central obstruction giving a little less contrast definition on planets. Other than that though Malc is absolutely correct that the hyperions do well in both types of scopes also the bst starguiders are highly rated as a budget eyepiece in long focal length scopes. there's no reason to suppose that the luminos range of eyepieces will not also do well, scopes like the 127 mak and the c5 ota which is the basis of the 5se have a deserved reputation of being very forgiving of eyepieces which are not premium but merely good. Somewhere around the 8 will except for days of very good seeing be about your maximum for deep space  5-8 for planetary viewing  in good seeing with 5 being a lunar eyepiece I would suggest a 10mm would be a very useful eyepiece to have at this focal length and probably an 8mm  would be used more than a 7mm. I never used a barlow with my nexstar5 but a good barlow whilst not essential isn't a waste of money either

apologies to malc by the way for coming across as a pompous ass. essentially malcs post is correct the c5 and 127 mak do share very similar characteristics and the hyperions are good eyepieces in both. In my desire to be helpful I didn't express myself as well as possible

Archived