NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Framing after GOTO

willuk2010

Yes...! It will just track at the fixed sidereal rate, so which ever bit of the sky the scope is pointing to, it will keep pointing there as the earth rotates... Guiding makes small adjustments to compensate for the mount's short comings and any inaccuracy in polar alignment.

Good luck!

Yes the new PHD2  does an especially great job at this. I only have to calibrate once during a session now. It starts guiding on another star after slewing to a different object almost instantly after selecting one. My mounts software has a direction button panel that i use to "nudge" the mount while watching the framing  using liveview in APT. Works great.

Yes the new PHD2  does an especially great job at this. I only have to calibrate once during a session now. It starts guiding on another star after slewing to a different object almost instantly after selecting one. My mounts software has a direction button panel that i use to "nudge" the mount while watching the framing  using liveview in APT. Works great.

Cheers Leveye, 

you remind me, i was going to try out APT tonight too! must install it now ;)

Cool, I didn't even realise there was a new version released. Liking the sound of calibrate once... So, you literally go through the select a star and calibrate routine, then when you move the mount, you just select a new star and it carries on guiding without having to re-calibrate? Sounds too good to be true!

I usually have to re-calibrate PHD after slewing from one side of the meridian to the other. If the new release avoids this that's a plus.

Edit- Once you have the target in frame you can use the Synscan controller to re-centre the object.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/46761-how-to-re-center-an-object-with-synscan-controller/

This calibration exercise is useful if the next target id nearby as pointing will be more accurate.

Archived