Yet another eyepiece spreadsheet

m0rt

I had this in use for a while. I was tidying it up earlier and thought it may help some others.

Enter details into the yellow boxes to avoid messing the calculations up. It allows for up to 6 eyepieces and includes a barlow result which you can also set the magnification for.

The purple box at the end gives the magnification ranges in ascending order.

Hope this helps...would appreciate anyone pointing out any errors in the result.

PS - Would only allow me to upload the Microsoft xls file, not the Open Document format ODS. 

Eyepiece_chart.xls

I did one of these once, in fact still have it. Helps a lot until you get the hang of working it out to know what you magnification is.

Have to say the dob mag vs TFOV looks good but the frac as you pointed out in spreadsheet is struggling to get above 100x because of aperture/focal length.

What are most used in collection with dob, THEO 25 and Vixen 12 ?

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at it. :)

It wasn't to tell me the magnification really - I know those on the fly, it was mainly for  working out what would suit best and planning what eyepieces to go for. The 14/15mm thread came out of this mainly for the Frac. I needed extra ranges. I found myself using the 12mm a lot, and wished for a slightly larger fov because I found the frac suprisingly good on DSOs. (I got a lovely view of M57 the other morning using the 9mm, the barlowed 12mm was just a little too much mag for the conditions, and the scope!) The 15mm (and it turns out it will be the new SLV not the NLV) I have just orded means I can get 121 and 61, which was an obvious gap for the upper range despite the duplication on a barlowed 30mm. 

The Theo 25 is a theoretical eyepice I was playing around figures. I will have, from Wed/Thursday,  a 15/20/30mm at the upper range, I will play around with the FOVs in Stellarium to see if I feel comfortable with what I have. So far, the 15mm was the only one I considered to be a major missing gap to give me the 120-130 range in the frac, and 160 in the Dob. I know the 15 duplicated the barlowed 30mm, but getting a 7-8mm eyepiece purely for the frac would have been a waste. And I do like the views that the NLVs provide. The 30mm is an NPL, which is a rather a good plossl in its own right.

The problem is, the local conditions I have here, (I have a flood plain on the back) mean that even when conditions are pretty good I tend to get a lot of local humidity rising pre 0100 so higher mags are wasted and I don't have a good view of the ecliptic - though whilst Jupiter was in Gemini I managed to get some nice views.

So generally, the Dob mainly gets 30mm, Barlowed 15 (until the new one arrives) and the 12.

I *hope* this was clear? :)

Archived