NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASCOM Help Needed

I've got ASCOM installed and working with the like of Stellarium etc, but I now have a problem thats driving me nuts. Ive gone and brought a Nextimage 5 camera but cant seem to get it into the drivers list in ASCOM. I want to try the camera out using APT, but I need it to be listed in the ASCOM drop down for CCD cameras. Can anyone offer some help here.

TIA,

Phil.

Hi,

First of all you need the specific Ascom driver for your camera, not just the camera driver bit the AScom camera driver, they are different, and secondly, I may be corrected here, but I don't think that camera will work with APT, that is for mainly DSLR cameras, and some WHY CCD,s I think.

Olly

AFAIK it can't be done, sadly (but I'll be happy to be corrected).

APT's page say it offers "Support for ASCOM compatible CCD cameras - QHYCCD, Starlight Xpress, Atik, Orion, Moravian and more". The product specs of the NexImage 5 states: "Chip : 1/2.5" format, color CMOS Sensor".

The difference between CMOS and CCD technologies is not trivial!

I've got ASCOM installed and working with the like of Stellarium etc, but I now have a problem thats driving me nuts. Ive gone and brought a Nextimage 5 camera but cant seem to get it into the drivers list in ASCOM. I want to try the camera out using APT, but I need it to be listed in the ASCOM drop down for CCD cameras. Can anyone offer some help here.

TIA,

Phil.

Phil, I didn't manage to find an ASCOM driver for NextImage 5 :( If there is no such, then I'm sorry to say that your camera is not supported yet :(

Archived