NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GCSE Imaging at Caradon Observatory

Wish facilities like this were available when I did my GCSE Astronomy 20-odd years ago!

Likewise. My school never even offered it as an option, but then they didn't even have a computer course I could have taken (!). I wonder how many schools do teach Astronomy these days?

I'd guess that many of the ones that do use something like the Bradford Robotic Observatory to take their images. There are some advantages to getting them done locally though - the students can come along, see the scopes and talk to the imager. Seeing everything first hand helps to put everything in context. I was around for one of their visits and they were showing a lot of interest, which was good to see.

Yep my school didn't offer it either, I taught myself and one of the physics teachers marked my work. Did it whilst doing my A Levels. And as for computer courses, unless you could do it on a BBC model B...

Yep my school didn't offer it either, I taught myself and one of the physics teachers marked my work. Did it whilst doing my A Levels. And as for computer courses, unless you could do it on a BBC model B...

Similar story here. The school had a handful of PCs, and I once had a word-processing lesson where I learned that you don't need to hit return yourself at the end of the line - but only because another student told me. A fairly major omission in my education given how much of my working life I spend in front of a computer. I learned far more in front of my Amiga 500 at home. I imagine things are a bit better these days.

Imaging doesn't appear to be part of the Edexcel Astronomy GCSE.

The students do not take the images themselves, but are required to write about them as part of their coursework. If there is anything misleading in the article then please let me know, I just manage the website and my information is second-hand. Is there a specific question you had?

Archived