NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation Sticky

I read the first couple of posts in this topic when it first started, but at the time didn't have too much interest in the topic but knew it would come along before long.

I've now had my scope around a month, amazingly with the weather got a few viewing sessions in, even if it was only 15 minute before the clouds  :clouds1: came in. I've only just recently replaced my RDF and installed the MD on to the scope, not had much time to use and test them properly but they do seem a massive upgrade to how the basic scope is. I've also just ordered some binos 10x50 so that at least when there is 5 minutes of clear skies  :hello2: I can do some quick observing.

So now I'm contemplating the Collimation options. I know that I will need to know how to do it at some point, especially when we do get some clear skies for longer periods as I will put the scope in the car and travel 5 miles down the road to a more favorable area. This afternoon I've been looking around and specifically looking at videos on YouTube only to come to the conclusion that there are different ways of doing this, Cheshire and Laser to mention the two obvious where I know for sure that the laser can be far from the best to do but could also be the easiest if the secondary mirror is aligned properly to the eye piece.

Back to the topic and what would I like as someone who has not done this before.

Firstly a sticky is great, but it must be locked and marked as a tutorial.

Secondly the contents really need to be bantered around in a post so that the vast experience of all the members in here can add the point to start with for where things have not been covered.

Thirdly the main content I would like to see is 

1. Why do it?
  2. How can you tell without any extra equipment if it is out
  3. What are all the methods of getting this set
  4. Links to example videos of each process (needs to be videos as the tutorial should cover what any other website tutorial will cover)
  5. Finally a table showing each method and were each one passes and fails (for example the laser not making sure the secondary is round in the EP

I'm guessing but if a sticky is closed that either the originator or a mod will be able to update the content as and when things need changing.

So now I need to start finding the above information out myself, do I create a new Topic?

I have the Astromaster 130EQ if someone wants to answer here, if not let me know to create a new topic.

Sticky covering all above would have helped greatly, but lock it and don't just stick in links.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived