Operating SCT or MAK "on it's side"

Perhaps a daft question, but I wonder if any harm can result from operating (or storing) an SCT or MAK on it's "side". Of course, these scopes survive a multplicity(!) of orientations on an equatorial, but I suspect most of you store yours with the focussing knob (dressed? LOL) to the left or right. Presumably there is some minor "assymetry" in the system... Just wondering if my MAK127 might somehow "settle wrongly", if left mounted (alt-azimuthally) on it's side. :D

There is some method in the madness. Simply I could then access the focusser equally with either hand. :D

I would imagine not either - so Thanks :D I note that, now I can spin the MAK easily about the axis, there is an occasional and faint optical-sounding "click" when it inverted for the first time. But it's rarely reproducible and, thus far, nothing major has fallen off. :D

I store my C9.25 and ETX horizontally in their respective storage boxes. I've always been wary of storing them with the scope vertical (corrector plate to the bottom as they used to show in old Celestron adverts) just in case the focussing rod becomes disconnected and the mirror slides down the baffle. Probably an unfounded fear, but that's me! So far, no problems. :D

Is this the kind of thing you were worried about happening, Chris? :D

My 90mm ETX RA was removed from the fork mount long ago and placed mount-end down on a shelf for storage between sessions. I usually don't take the objective cover off till after it's been outside cooling for a while, so I have no idea how long it's been like this. But I took it off the other afternoon in the house to set up and get a better look at some Deer sleeping in the yard and saw this.. doesn't it look like the secondary's sliding down? Iirc, it's glued onto the back of the lens in these scopes. (I've had it since mid-1998 so I won't be too upset if it needs to be replaced.)

I'm anxious to test it out and see how it is, but it might be a while. Since late October, it's been either cloudy or deadly cold at night. It's been about -15°F at night for about a week already (someone up in Canada forgot to close the freezer door again :D). Anyway, I just wanted a few opinions on what might be wrong here.

Thanks for the reminder, Bob.. I'd totally forgotten about Weasner's site. :D Apparently it's a common problem with older 90-RA's... I found a few pages on how to fix it.

They said the gelatinous glue eventually gives out, and heat speeds the 'migration' process up, but my scope is always in the house and has never been locked in a hot vehicle or even left out in the Sun (except with the solar filter on :D).

Since the ETX is my cold-weather lunar grab'n'go scope, I'll postpone doing anything till the weather warms up and I can set up the 8" SCT again.

Thanks again! :lol:

Is this the kind of thing you were worried about happening, Chris? :lol:

Hi Carol. Not exactly, but that's another similar, potential neurosis, I might yet work on... :D

But, as ever, (my) "dumb" questions sometimes throw up an interesting link/idea or two. In short I managed to find a home for a second RACI finder on my MAK127 - it manages to "squeeze in" by about 1/8"(!) by screwing onto a tube ring! The original (predrilled OTA) holes are no longer needed, so can remain "on the left" - For the original red dot finder. I neither to rotate the tube (about it's circular axis) or practice any "invasive surgery" (as in Hole drilling!) :lol:

There is still a "slight click" when the MAK is rotates, but HEY, many "optical systems" do such things! MAK mirrors are (of course!) plated on to the corrector (from where I believe the click issues). But glue is e.g., I believe, used to secure the surrounding "baffle". But hey, it will never have to contend with some of your temperatures! True what you say, tho - For portability etc. there are few things nicer than a small Cat(adiopteric)? :D

The likely longevity, the "black box" nature, portability etc. - ON the last, I note my latest "grab and go" begins to tip the scales at 30lb. A minor rethink is in progress... Sometimes I think I should have bought an ETX! :mrgreen:

More "The Incredible Wimp"! :D

But that's with two scopes attached. But, even with one alone, it's still gonna need counterweights. As long as I can "quantize" it into 5-10lb chunks and with my planned CART thingie? This is called "planning" - NOT! In truth it amazes me what some folk consider to be "grab and go" too. :tongue6:

Archived