Web cam imaging

den12386

I have bought a cheap web cam to try some imaging with it. It is the Microsoft lifecam vx 3000. It has the cmos sensor and I have seen a video on youtube on how to convert it for astro imaging. I just intend to use it for the moon and brighter planets from my back garden. Has anyone used this type before and can give me some tips and hints as what to expect with it ?  Also if I was to take it to a dark site how do you power my laptop when away from home as the battery in it only lasts 20mins at best. 

Webcams are webcams, so any advice you can get on modified webcams on here will be relevant to your set up.

If you have a 12v leisure (or car battery) or just a car, you could get a lead off eBay which plugs into a fag lighter socket one end, steps up the voltage to your laptops requirements, and powers it, and subsequently the webcam.

Simples!

:)

Good luck and look forward to seeing your results.

Jd

Just searching google I can see that there are lots of topics on converting the camera for AP, so I would guess you can get to use it with some reasonable results for Lunar and Planetary images. The most common software people use is Sharp Cap which is a free app. I've only just started myself with an xBox cam I converted which was very easy to convert.

Last night I had a go with it and at least I got further than the cheap cam I bought to try before as you can control so many more settings on the webcam, still need a few more sessions on getting there.

As to the laptop, you need an Inverter, Maplins sell these but you may get cheaper ones elsewhere. I have a 150W one in my car that I got from work some time ago, it's been very useful at times. You need to make sure you get a high enough W for your needs but I've also heard of the higher powered ones causing people issues when they draw the full current from them when plugged into the cigarette lighter, so you would plug those straight on the car battery. For a laptop though you should be fine in the car as they don't pull too much power. I would guess a 150W would do you ot 300W at the most but I'm no expert on them so look into the power rating on the laptop charger and take it from there.

I may be corrected but you need to check the incoming not the output of your charger as the output will be different as it's based on anuthing frm 12 - 20V DC. I'm no electrician but look into it first.

An inverter will also give the extra options as it's outputting 230v AC you can use it for other things that you plug into the mains, even plug an extension lead in then you can plug multiple items in as long as you don't draw too much power.

Archived