Skywatcher Auto Focuser & Flextube 250px

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered a problem fitting SW Auto Focus to Flextube 250px. I put one on mine and the focus tube has a lot of slop, yet the new longer screws are done up tight. If I adjust, tighten, the focus tube tension screw, the auto focuser will not move. If I slacken the screw off, the focuser is too loose and will not move.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and could the new screw be too long; ie fitting the bottom of screw hole without tightening the plate.

Thanks

David

Hi.

It's a very fine balance on the tension adjustment screw. As you say, too much and the motor can't turn it and too slack and the tube flops about.

One thing that may be worth considering is flattening the contact area on the tube. If you wind your tube out you'll probably notice two dark lines along the edges of the flat contact area. This means the shaft is only contacting the drawtube on a tiny area. You can flatten it off with a fine whetstone so the focuser shaft contacts the entire area. It transforms the focuser. SkyWatcher needs to improve this really.

There's a handy video on how to do this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOSAMlqZWw

Hi Mitch,

Thanks.

Funny thing is. The auto focuser fits nicely on my 150, no slack, didn't need to adjust tension screw at all. So I'm wondering if the holes for the plate on the scope aren't deep enough to take the longer screw. I will find a long pin and measure the depth on both scopes to rule this out.

BTW, watch all his video's, most enlighting, even if I still slightly dubious about some of the collimation.

Archived