NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternatives to big binoculars for birdin

Ramirez

Hi astro mates. This is my first message in the forum, glad to join this community.

Well, as the title says, im looking for an alternative to the big binoculars for my birding purpose. I own a Skywatcher ED80 and a 28x110 binos, i love the stereo vision but when and i need high mags, there no other way than the mono vision on my scope.

So, i know there a few of big binos out there, but the more i read, the more i felt they cant give what i want. My ED80 is able to reach 80x like a champ, but from what i read, except the true APO binos i cant afford, APM Oberwerk etc are true limited to 50x. 

Here's the alternatives

C6 (or another MAK) with binoviewer

BAMBB_Set_C6.jpg

Possible cons: 

1-The pic shows a 90 degree, i guess it can fit a 45 o 60, is that right?

2-The focal with the binoviewer will be huge, even for high mags. Then is the focal reducer solution, that always comes with the vignettin problems 

Two refractors as a binoscope

altaz.jpg

In my case, two ED80. 

Possible cons:

1-Same problem as the Mak. I've seen a lot of pics and never saw even a 45 degree configuration. The porro prims are there but there's only a few, dont know about quality and most important, dont know if the interpupilar distance will be enough

2-The assembly of two independent scopes, with their own collimation and paired collimation issues, i just dont know where to find or made a brackett and guides to do it

Since the last week, i belive i almost have read all the bino stuff out there in internet writted in latin letters. From APM 100 semi apo reviews, to a japanese guy who made binoscope, passing throught forums, blogs, etc ... with no results. Hope this thread could help a little more.

My goal is to achieve those 80x for my long range birdin purpose in dual vision, beloved god i dont ask that much!!! 

Thanks to all.

Regards.

Wow. Surely it'd be cheaper just to creep up a bit further towards them?!  :icon_biggrin: 

I dont know about planets since i dont do much astro, but birds tends to go away as long you came closer, so you really need that extra mags  :grin:

Plus, at least the C6 option, is more o or less same price as the APM 100 semi apo.  :smiley:

Another factor is ideally you need a corrected image.

I have an ETX 105 ota, a 45 degree correct image diagonal and recently got a set of WO binoviewers, the setup works ok, focuses from 15 metres to infinity but contrast isn't amazing.

I think this setup gives around 80x mag with the 20mm WO eyepieces. 

Don't know if that helps.

James.

Another factor is ideally you need a corrected image.

I have an ETX 105 ota, a 45 degree correct image diagonal and recently got a set of WO binoviewers, the setup works ok, focuses from 15 metres to infinity but contrast isn't amazing.

I think this setup gives around 80x mag with the 20mm WO eyepieces. 

Don't know if that helps.

James.

Thanks James. Contrast isnt really amazing in any Mak compared to ED/APO, but maybe the XLT and the bigger aperture in a C6 could help

Few question if you dont mind ... have you tried on terrestrial objects? did you use it with a focal reducer?

I didn't use a focal reducer, I think the focal length of the scope is about 1450mm but the extra light path of the binviewer adds to that (i think)

I've tried it on a few terrestrial targets, my local church is about 400 metres away and the detail visible on that is quite impressive, also there was a bird flitting about in trees near the church and I could clearly identify it as a green finch.

I didn't use a focal reducer, I think the focal length of the scope is about 1450mm but the extra light path of the binviewer adds to that (i think)

I've tried it on a few terrestrial targets, my local church is about 400 metres away and the detail visible on that is quite impressive, also there was a bird flitting about in trees near the church and I could clearly identify it as a green finch.

Thank you James.

Waiting for more opinions mates!

Archived