NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another fantastic session!

So last night we (myself, and a few others from University) took my Skywatcher 150p and a friend's 130p to Druridge Bay - to those familiar with the area, we drove through Cresswell and all the way up to the end of the road and parked up just off the turning circle.

I couldn't believe how dark it was, and how much I could see! Jupiter was looking beautiful again, and I also managed to have a gaze at the Orion Nebula and both M82 and M81... took me a while to find them but they were utterly amazing to look at once I did! Tried to shoot Jupiter afocally (my first image, so don't expect miracles) and got the photo below - doesn't do the view any justice at all, but I'm happy you can make out the bands!

To anyone in the Tyne & Wear/ Northumberland area, I thoroughly recommend this spot as a dark site. Having never been at night before, I was stunned last night and intend on going back as often as possible.

Mark :)

post-34386-0-01261800-1390560329_thumb.j

Archived