Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's time to make a stand! (So I don't have to on tiptoes)

CumbrianGadgey

Dear all,

I have stepped out and I'm getting a Skywatcher 200P EQ-5. The tripod is a lanky affair, to say the least.

I asked about modifying it because of it's tall stature and my much smaller one. With yet another cloudy sky, I set to thinking. I've decided to make do with the set up for a time, take some weights and measurements and make my own stand to suit. I'll make the stand so that it can accomodate a 250 Newton, too, since that should go onto an EQ5 mount (I think). with very careful consideration i might come up with something to take a 300 F5 on an EQ6 mount and that will ensure a lifetime free of balancing on chairs in the dark, etc.

I just thought what is the point in hacking an original and possibly lowering its resale value, if I can make something much more usable for myself. The main parameter will be to get the eyepiece at around 1500mm from the ground with the scope vertical (I think this should even be possible with a 250 f6, though it will be tight).

I've already decided to design the thing using a tubular column down to three horizontal hollow section legs with adjusting feet. This way, I can achieve rigidity and strength, keep the weight down and also get around the annoying clash between the telescope tube and legs when observing overhead. I can even make the legs removable for transport, without introducing too much flex, i think.

Once I have the scope and can measure and weigh both the mount and assembled scope, I'll get cracking on the detailed design. It should be fun.

Archived