NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gotta pick a finder or two

Oh, I gotta pick a finder or two .....

Yes, I gotta pick a finder or two.

Ok... Now, here's the thing... In an attempt to reduce weight, not on the mount, on my back, carrying everything... I've moved away from a side by side setup for guiding, and moved to a finder guider. Ok, so far, I've managed to test this out precisely 0 times so far, but that's by the by.

The question is kinda two fold.. Both my 80ED and my RC6 have an offset finder shoe. Adding another one isn't too much of an issue, it's just a couple of holes drilled in the OTA (said like it's so easy :)), fit a new show and away we go. However, whilst on the 80ED I can rotate the tube in the tube rings to bring the finder guider in line with the scope and mount (effectively piggy back configuration), the RC6 doesn't have this option, seeing as the dovetail is fitted directly to the tube. 

The finder guider is an 9x50 SW finder scope with a QHY5t on the rear, and weighs a little over 500g.

What finder (bear in mind, I can't handle optical finders, and much prefer RDF type) would be suitable on both scopes, as a finder, and to help balance out the finder guider ? Would a telrad be the way to go ?

Thanks in advance.

Archived