NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just got a new Celestron Nexstar 8SE, and I could use a little help...

Hey all. So I just got my Celestron Nexstar 8SE today. I set it up and played around, and it worked out ok.

So first I setup the tripod and used a level app on my phone to get it level. I then put the mount and scope on, and powered it up. I then reset it to the factory settings. I downloaded a GPS app on my phone and entered in the exact lat/lon coordinates, time, and date. I then did the SkyAlign and aligned it to Jupiter, Aldebaran, and one other star. It was a match!

So then I used the goto to go back to Jupiter. It found Jupiter, but it was definitely well off center. I had to use the manual controls to get it centered. Once it was centered, it stayed relatively on track. I left it and came back 15 minutes later and it was a bit off center, but not too bad.

I then tried the Orion Nebula. This time, I couldn't see it at all after using goto, and had to manually cruise around a bit before I found it.

I tried several other objects and basically found nothing. It couldn't even find Pleiades.

So, I have a couple questions. First, how can I align the dot finder to the scope? When I used the dot-finder to do the alignment with Jupiter, it was way way off. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the alignment on the dot-finder after I centered Jupiter in the scope.

Second, and more importantly, what did I do wrong with my alignment? I tried aligning several times, using different settings, different celestial objects, different alignment modes, and I could never hit the deep sky objects.

Thanks for the help!

I'd assume that the RDF on the 8SE is probably the same one that is on my SLT. There are 3 knobs on the finder. One turns it on and off and adjusts the brightness.

There is another one on the front near the "hood" and another on the back underneath. The one up front adjusts the dot up and down and the back one controls left and right.

Get the object you are using to adjust in the center of your EP and then adjust the dot to cover the object. You can start of with a low power EP, center it, switch to a higher power, center it again and then adjust the dot for more accuracy. 

As for alignment and tracking, do you use a powertank or some sort of other power source. Don't trust the batteries in the mount. Even when they are fresh they can give you problems when the scope slews.

Hi

I have a new Nexstar 6SE and am having issues setting up the skyalign on 3 stars, but will continue to persevere.

You seem to be further on than me!!

As for the RDF, that is relatively simple and mine set up fine. I have seen comments that the RDF does at times need some shimming under the holding down screws in order to extend its range of adjustment a little more.

I am going to try the 2 star alignment, which seems to be easier to set.

Happy viewing.

Peter

I *think* Celestron's Sky Align software allows for various mount types. An EQ mount would use 3 star but an Alt/Az mount only needs 2 star. These options can be auto or manual select. Then there are further options like Solar System align which are good for eg sessions where you may only be interested in the Moon and/or Jupiter. I find SS align is not as accurate as 'star' align. I mainly use 2 star.

Alt/Az is not an accurate tracker (which is why imagers use EQ), after a while the target will stray slightly, so that may be normal behaviour. Alignment problems usually come from poor power supply and incorrect input of date and time (US style).

If you are scanning large sections of sky then you may need to occasionally realign to a new target star during the course of the night.

In my box of bits I have a low cost illuminated reticule lens. It is a 15mm so not over powerfull and as a viewing lens is rubbish, but it is illuminated and allows me to get dead center on an object in order to set the RDF.

I think it cost about A$25....

Another tip I was given was on the final approach to getting the object in the viewing center using the handset and pressing the button was to come from the bottom left and move upwards to the upper right. This seemingly takes out some of the backlash and is the way the Celestron is programmed to approach an object in the data base.

Archived