NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Mars since 2003

centroid

Had a 'crack' at Mars tonight, for the first time in 4 years.

Close to the Moon, and the seeing was such, that the 'planet' was jumping around all over the place.

Not the usual 1000+ frame AVI, but just 60 frames captured as jpegs, with the little Meade LPI.

I really must treat myself to a DMK camera :D

12" LX200R + x5 Powermate + LPI.

Dave

post-13389-133877336002_thumb.jpg

Well the little LPI is no match for a DMK I would imagine, but it has not done such a bad job

here Dave. 60 frames is a bit sparse perhaps, and with the steadyness non existent,

There is nothing to sneeze at, the image is very reasonable.

Ron.

Its not so much the limited number of 'frames' Ron, as the speed at which they are captured as jpeg images. Which means you have to be pretty lucky to 'catch' a good one.

I have an SPC900NC, which could probably manage 15 fps AVI's, without too much compression. I might give that a 'whirl' one night.

The DMK and Skynix cameras, can managed 60 fps, which gives a much better chance of catching those elusively brief moments when the 'seeing' steadies.

However, having just spent £400 on a Lodestar guide camera, the DMK will have to wait.

Dave

Archived