Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hawke Frontier 10x43 ED or Barr & Stroud Savannah 10x56

martbass

I have decided for various reasons against buying the Kowa in a recent thread and after suffering paralysis from analysis, narrowed things down to the above two binos probably from FLO.

My problem is that I want a pair that are good for both a bit of birding and also be good for some astro work which I guess I can't have.

I like the idea of compactness and size of the frontier if I'm honest (though I'm unable to get the savanah 56 in my hands to see how big /heavy they are to compare)

I understand the 10x56 will be much better suited to stargazing but would I really lose out that much on stars if I bought the 10x43?

Does anyone have experience in either binos? They both seem to have good reviews.

Thanks all

I don't think you'll lose anything much by going down to 43. I use 8x42 for preference and find the image bright, contrasty and exciting. I see no conflict whatever between birding and astronomy. Bigger binoculars move you into tripod territory, which is fine but it isn't the same activity any more.

A thought on tripod use of binoculars; in bins you are hand holding you pan by moving your head. You don't peer into the edge of the field. When using a tripod you might do this, so flat field bins might be better. I've never really gone into this but I wonder if there's anything in it. Whatever, my 8x42 Leicas do show distortion if you peer into the edges but that isn't how I use them and there is no uncomfortable rolling distortion as I pan.

I had some 11x80 once and they were fine, but the exit pupil was sp large that I got a brighter view in 15x70 but, for me, these are tripod bins.

Olly

thanks

I'm thinking the 10x56 will probably cover both birds n stars better as they should give a brighter image than the 10x43's that have an  ep of 4.3mm ?

At the moment I'm leaning to the frontiers as they have a wider FOV and better close focus of 2m.

Here I go again.......analysing etc !

Damn I just don't have time to travel to a shop to try them out and have to buy online!

I've just bought the Barr & Stroud Savannah 10x56s (they arrived yesterday), and they are quite compact. I was a bit concerned because on Monday I went to my local gun shop & they had some Zeiss Night Owl 10x56, which seemed enormous! However the B&S are a nice size, they fit nicely in the pocket of my dog walking coat!

They're really nicely constructed, very solid. Everything moves smoothly, but with enough resistance that they're not easily knocked out of focus. They weigh about a kilo but are well balanced.

The image is nice and bright and the majority is very sharp with very slight softening around the very edge. I got a chance to have a quick look at the moon last night and the craters were nice and crisp and well defined.

I'm very please with my new bins, and I think they are excellent value at £115.99.

Hope this helps.

Archived