NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt Az into EQ?

I have seen a couple videos on youtube where the guy has a motorized alt az mount and polar aligns it. Also the last time I was out I noticed there is a EQ North alignment method in the alignment options of my GOTO.

I thought (with my newbiness) that polar alignment was basically for a EQ mount for ease of tracking and essential for if you wanted to do imaging?

The auto 2 star align works very well for me so far so I was just wondering if I am missing out on this EQ alignment process????

Is it more accurate? 

What don't I get about it??

"I noticed there is a EQ North alignment method in the alignment options of my GOTO"

You'll find this is for polar aligning a scope which has an equatorial wedge. Some Alt/Az scopes can be wedged up and pointed at the pole star to turn them into an equatorial scope. My CPC is one such example - but I don't think a wedge exists for your scope. :)

(They put the option in the handset so they can mass produce generic handsets that match all their mounts in either mode).

Archived