Choosing a Camera for my needs

So i have been doing some visual observing of planets and some DSO's but they just are not the same without colour.

I am looking to get a camera to be able to photograph some DSO's as i already have a planetary webcam which works just fine.

Now the choice, do i get a

- A DSO CCD (Colour OR Monochrome with filter wheel)

- A DLSR

To my knowledge getting a monochrome CCD with filters would be the best option but also the most expensive.

But the DLSR has more variety (can be used for lunar, (And planetary?) )

So which would be the better option for a beginner which provides the best image quality.

For referance they would be used on either 

-  Skywatcher 150x750 EQ3

-  Skywatcher 200x1000 EQ5Pro Goto

Or if i am completely wrong, please say so.

Omega 

Without guiding those relatively big for their mounts Newtonians won't give steady tracking. You can use DSLR with lenses and no telescope on mounts like EQ3-2/EQ5 with motors to shoot DS objects (big ones) without worrying about guiding etc. Cheapest solution, yet it can be very effective, especially when starting with this type of imaging ;)

For planetary DSLR aren't the optimal choice, better to use typical planetary camera. 8" Newtonian would be quite good but it also needs some accessories if you would want to make a lot of lunary/planetary images of good quality.

Without guiding those relatively big for their mounts Newtonians won't give steady tracking. You can use DSLR with lenses and no telescope on mounts like EQ3-2/EQ5 with motors to shoot DS objects (big ones) without worrying about guiding etc. Cheapest solution, yet it can be very effective, especially when starting with this type of imaging ;)

For planetary DSLR aren't the optimal choice, better to use typical planetary camera. 8" Newtonian would be quite good but it also needs some accessories if you would want to make a lot of lunary/planetary images of good quality.

From my other thread i am also looking at getting a autoguider (Should have mentioned that <,<)

I also have seen some nice images of Andromeda with just a camera on a mount.

Would putting the smaller scope on the eq5 mount be a good idea for Astrophotography and guiding of DSO's?

A very small ED/APO refractor + DSLR + guiding can be efficient on EQ5/CG5. For bigger DS astrophotography you will need HEQ5 or EQ6 and so on. The guider can be the planetary camera too. DS astrophotography doesn't need big scopes (and gets harder and much more expensive when the telescope gets bigger).

A very small ED/APO refractor + DSLR + guiding can be efficient on EQ5/CG5. For bigger DS astrophotography you will need HEQ5 or EQ6 and so on. The guider can be the planetary camera too. DS astrophotography doesn't need big scopes (and gets harder and much more expensive when the telescope gets bigger).

Couldn't agree more with you, very good advice.

Regards,

A.G

Different camera's have different settings, you should use one from Canon.

You'll need a t-ring and a adapter that fits the camera precisely.

After that you image away!

Ok so im getting the jist i should go with a DLSR 

I have been looking at getting the Cannon 100D (Single Lense Kit)

Is this overkill or do i drop down to a 1000D?

If i do end up getting a DLSR i will also use it for time lapses of the night sky so i want something still decent.

Different camera's have different settings, you should use one from Canon.

You'll need a t-ring and a adapter that fits the camera precisely.

After that you image away!

There's a little more to it than "image away" ...  :rolleyes:

I fully agree with the Canon though , much more Astro-friendly ...  :laugh:

As for model , that's a difficult one , I started with the 1000D and it's a brilliant camera , I recently bought an 1100D to  back it up as I've clocked up over 106,000 frames with the first one , but to be frank I was less than impressed with the results compared to the 1000D ...  :embarassed:

I've just returned the 1100D and swapped it for another 1000D ...  :laugh:

Archived