Binning images?

So, I've heard about this mysterious art of binning, but so far I've got no idea what it actually is, OR how one does it. A quick google search ended me up with nothing as well, same goes for youtube.

So how does one go about binning images? Anyone? :)

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

So, I've heard about this mysterious art of binning, but so far I've got no idea what it actually is, OR how one does it. A quick google search ended me up with nothing as well, same goes for youtube.

So how does one go about binning images? Anyone? :)

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Binning is sampling 4 or 9 pixels, Bin2 or Bin3, to  increase sensitivity at the expense of detail and resolution. It  is also used to match the pixel to the scope at times. The most use it gets is during LRGB imaging where the L is captured at Bin1, native resolution of the camera, and the RG and B can be captured at Bin2 to speed things up. As the detail is in the L channel then it does not matter if the colour data has low resolution as the detail in L will compensate for this. The subs are then resampled during regstration and stacking and can be combined as LRGB. Some seasoned imagers now prefer to image in Bin1 for RGB as they feel the data has more fidelity. The only other use of binning is in focusing and framing with CCDs. A colour camera can not be binned btw as this will destroy the colour data.

A.G

Archived