phd and a fast guide scope

m37

Hi

I'm finally in the throws of first light with my WO GT-81 and my Altair mini guide scope. Previously I found PHD relatively easy to set up and get working using an OAG but with this guide scope I noticed PHD whipping through the calibration steps very quickly and getting nowhere near the target distance of 24. I think the first time it only moved about 6 in 60 steps before throwing up the usual error.

I upped the max calibration duration and got a bit closer, eventually completing the calibration routine in about 40 steps with a max calibration duration of 7500.

So guiding has successfully started but it's a long time between pulses and every guide movement seems to be the maximum duration which I have at 2000.

Do I perhaps need to slow down the guide scope just a bit? It is at f3.75 !!!

You should see how many guide stars I have to choose from though :)

cheers, hope you all have clear skies where you are too.

Christoph.

ah this reminds me of my early days when i first started guiding, makes you smile doesn't it ? doesn't it ?! doesn't it ?!!  :evil:  i almost gave up after a few nightmare sessions, but i got there in the end :smiley:

on a serious note though i do find with the QH5 & finder/guider scope i use 8-10 steps is enough to guide my 200PDS/HEQ5

Archived