Astrophotography mount query

keybaud

I am looking at getting an ED80 and a tracking scope, but I'll be using my Canon 70D, not a CCD. I have read a fair bit about mounts for astrophotography and the recommendation is always for something like the HEQ5, but I have seen various videos of, what look like competent astrophotographers, using something as small as a EQ3-2. I assume that the key factor is actually the weight of the equipment placed onto the mount or do heavier mounts track more smoothly or do something else that benefits photographers?

A couple of things spring to mind. For imaging DSO's you want long exposures, for that you need a mount that is rock solid ..... better mount.

Longer exposures needs better tracking and motors ... lesser mounts won't necessarily have sufficient motors for this.

Weight capacity is further down the list than the other two. The HEQ5 is often recommended as a starting point for good reason. Many have tried with less and found it to be rather frustrating throwing away a significant number of subs when imaging time in the UK is already limited. The mount is THE base of the imaging rig. Do yourself a favour and don't scrimp on it is my opinion.

A couple of things spring to mind. For imaging DSO's you want long exposures, for that you need a mount that is rock solid ..... better mount.

Longer exposures needs better tracking and motors ... lesser mounts won't necessarily have sufficient motors for this.

Weight capacity is further down the list than the other two. The HEQ5 is often recommended as a starting point for good reason. Many have tried with less and found it to be rather frustrating throwing away a significant number of subs when imaging time in the UK is already limited. The mount is THE base of the imaging rig. Do yourself a favour and don't scrimp on it is my opinion.

Thanks, a HEQ5 it is, but I'll need to sell the kids or one of their kidney's if I can't a few months.

Archived