NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Android app for long exposure photography

Church

Hello,

what free on did you try?

I tried a few, as they only simulate long exposure (by stacking multiple immages) the sensitivity you can reach is still somewhat limited depending on the phone and it's camera sensor.

Camera FV-5 seems like a good all-in-one solution.

Some of the night vision apps I tried where very sensitive but they are not suitable for astro imaging due to the hight contrast they use. Sadly those where the only ones that could show Andromeda galaxy and Plejads through my binocular-adapter ... but the images with the extreme enhancing where ugly.

Most others I tried where demo or light versions with reduced functionality. So I would be interested as well what good apps are out there :-)

Ronin, I'm talking about an app that allows the smartphone to take long images. The free one I tried was Long Exposure Camera 2. The end result was really amateurish, lol. I stabilized the phone and pointed it out at a sidewalk with people passing by, and it takes what it claims to be a 10 second exposure, but it looked like it just stacked photos on top of each other, like someone else just alluded to above. I was hoping there might be an app that actually exposes a single, 10-second photo. Maybe that's just not possible.

I'm only curious because my Android actually takes really nice, regular photos, when I'm just out and about. So I was wondering if it would be able to take pictures of DSOs through a telescope, or if I will end up needing to buy a better camera. I already know my phone can take pictures of Jupiter. But I was wondering about things like M42, for instance.

Please don't take this the wrong way no insult intended here but you are using a phone for astrophotography and find the results you're getting amateurish? Think about it. Use an Eyepiece holder and a P&S that does RAW at the very least.

I see it more as a fun activity to see what those phone gadgets are capable of :-)

The simulated exposure and some special light drawing apps are neat for star trails though. Or perhaps detecting shooting stars :-)

There are some images I saw with planets, even some nebulae

http://troyski.org.uk/home/?p=2853

But I don't have a iphone. Still, some of the android cellphones probably have similar camera sensors.

Archived