NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

And another EQ8 for dual rig...

ollypenrice

Nicely unexpected, the good folks at FLO have just despatched an EQ8 and tripod in our direction before the next batch are landed. It seems OVL had a few which were missing their weights, which have now turned up. It could be running by the next dark time with a bit of luck.

This is a joint project with Tom O'Donoghue. Two FSQ106/Atik11000s on one mount. When not used by our guests it will be working to feed our mosaic-making mania.

Now then, piggyback or side by side? It would be unusual to piggyback something of the FSQ's size and weight but it would keep the payload slim and allow us to go longer past the meridian. Since we image things  in season, and are more interested in the south than the north at this focal length, going peacefully past the Meridian would be a major bonus. But will the lower scope's tube rings form an adequately stiff support for the upper scope on its hefty tilt-pan adjuster? Anybody tried anything like this?

Why did we go for the EQ8? Because it's a lot cheaper than anything else capable of doing the job. Nothing more to it than that, really.

At the moment I run around like a headless chicken trying to run three mounts so getting it down to two will be nice and simple for someone as easily confused as I am... We'll use two computers, though. I reckon two instances of one capture programme running identical cameras and filterwheels is asking for it! Even if the PC could sort it out I'm not convinced that I could... This is red. Which red? Which flats? Whose darks are these?  :p 

Olly

Good luck Olly... :grin:

Two heads are better than one, or... schizophrenia???  Only one way to find out! We think that at short focal lengths the multiple rig should be fairly straightforward. At long focal lengths it seems to be very difficult. Yves and I joined a band who have tried and failed with big scopes. Here's hopng.

Olly

Archived