NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticstar Mono CCD

m37

I was browsing CCD cameras in the £500 region for an introduction to imaging DSOs in mono+filters. I have looked at the Atik Titan which looks really good for this modest price range.

I also saw this Opticstar camera ...

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_0_50_220

...which looks better than the Titan on paper (smaller pixels, larger chip) but I've not come across many pictures taken with it, which makes me wonder. I've always found Opticstar to be a good firm to deal with and other things I have had from their own-brand range have been decent quality but this seems to be an unknown commodity.

I'm going to research the two chips a bit more but does anyone have any positive experiences or tales of woe with either of these?

I am leaning towards the Atik as it's better known generally, has lots of very decent looking images online, and, well, it's an Atik. Shame to discount the Opticstar if it's a better camera though just based on a hunch.

cheers

Atik 314E (not L) has the same sensor. It's a quite small sensor, but has decent amount of pixels. The sensitivity is low, but the noise is very low (so it counterbalance the sensitivity a bit). If you want it pick Atik, not those "cameras" from Opticstar ;)

I was browsing CCD cameras in the £500 region for an introduction to imaging DSOs in mono+filters. I have looked at the Atik Titan which looks really good for this modest price range.

I also saw this Opticstar camera ...

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_0_50_220

...which looks better than the Titan on paper (smaller pixels, larger chip) but I've not come across many pictures taken with it, which makes me wonder. I've always found Opticstar to be a good firm to deal with and other things I have had from their own-brand range have been decent quality but this seems to be an unknown commodity.

I'm going to research the two chips a bit more but does anyone have any positive experiences or tales of woe with either of these?

I am leaning towards the Atik as it's better known generally, has lots of very decent looking images online, and, well, it's an Atik. Shame to discount the Opticstar if it's a better camera though just based on a hunch.

cheers

H

Hi,

I know the two gentlemen from OpticStar personally and they are very honest and decent guys. Having said that, I would advise you to save your pennies for a little longer and go for an Atik 314L+, the e is no longer listed I believe.

A.G

Yeah I've had really great experiences with Opticstar, certainly no complaints there.

£500 to £600 is all I could really justify spending on an imaging camera which is why the Titan and the Opticstar model caught my eye.

quite subtantial

Yeah I've had really great experiences with Opticstar, certainly no complaints there.

£500 to £600 is all I could really justify spending on an imaging camera which is why the Titan and the Opticstar model caught my eye.

The camera is substantial and well built, my concerns are the size of the sensor which means that you need a pretty short and fast scope and slightly lower snsitivity than what I am used to from the 428, but then again as you say it is only 1/3 of the price of an Atik 428. Good luck with your decision. You can also drop Peter at OpticStar an email, as I said I have found him to be pretty genuine guy. 

I have dropped you a PM regarding one of the itemss you have for sale.

Regards,

A.G

If you will go the "cheap" path you will be sooner or later sorry. There is no bargain in those cameras. Those are 12-bit (nit 16-bit) lab cameras (Tucsen and alike) supported only by Opticstar (and if you search this forum, or flickr you will see what their cameras "offer").

I haven't yet purchased a CCD but it's next on the list, I can say without any doubt I'll be getting one from Opticstar, whether it be one of their own or otherwise.
Their help and judgement they have given me over the last few years has been invaluable not only in the learning but also the wallet !

Archived