NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Thoughts up to now.

jimmyr

Well i have had the Bino's three days now and have a couple of little niggles already.

1, The piece that the eye pieces are connected to  is very flimsey and made of Plastic, i am sure someone here has reported this on their 10x50 version.

2, when i hold the bino's at arms lengh and look at the eye lenses rather than round in shape, the exits seem to be a Diamond shape.

But i am new to all this and i know the above is or can become problems down the line as i get used to what a good bino should be like.

I have purchaced a good mount to secure to a tripod from Amazon, this makes things a lot easier, well for me anyway.

Thanks

Jim

Well i have had the Bino's three days now and have a couple of little niggles already.

1, The piece that the eye pieces are connected to  is very flimsey and made of Plastic, i am sure someone here has reported this on their 10x50 version.

The eyepiece bridge -- yes, it is a tad "flexy", but it's adequate (and you won't find much better at that price!)

2, when i hold the bino's at arms lengh and look at the eye lenses rather than round in shape, the exits seem to be a Diamond shape.

This is due to BK-7 (borosilicate crown ) prisms. The effect is a slight dimming of the periphery of the field of view (you probably won't notice it unless you are looking for it). However, it actually is slightly better for colour correction than the much-lauded BaK-4 (barium crown), which is one reason that BK7 is preferred to BaK-4 in high-end binoviewers (where BaK-4 is no more than advertising hype).

Thanks Steve, i think being a newcomer you tend to read into more advanced members ideals and when falling behind the ideals look to blame the tool, that is really what i think i have done here, i cant help thinking i was happy when i had only read good reviews and forgot all about them when reading more negative, hence started looking for problems.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived