ISS, SkyMed1, Plane - Busy Skies

It's clear out again tonight so I thought I'd go for my first satellite shot.  I've been watching for satellites ever since I found Satellite Flybys over at SpaceWeather.com and have been trying to figure out how to photograph those dim little dots.  Last night I was set up and ready to capture SkyMed1 but when I clicked the shutter release my camera said "NO MEMORY CARD".   :eek:

Tonight I was more prepared and got the shot with no trouble at all.  Being a very dim satellite I only got to spend a few seconds with it, but that's all I needed:

SkyMed1

Sony a300

50mm lens @ f1.8

ISO 400

5 seconds

SkyMed1_zpsadf13303.jpg

And of course because the ISS is so easy to see I went ahead and got a few of those while setting up.  Here's my favorite.  Just for reference, the bright star above the ISS is Capella:

ISS - Dec 12 2013

Sony a300

50mm lens @ f5.6

ISO 100

6 seconds

ISS-Dec122013_zpsa3676b22.jpg

And as I was about to head back into the warmth of my house, an airplane began making its approach to the nearby airport.  I figured why not see what kind of trail it would make across the darkening sky.  So just for fun, here's what I got:

Plane

Sony a300

50mm lens @ f1.8

ISO - 100

4 seconds

LowClosePlane_zpsbdea4ab0.jpg

Good pics nvchad. The angle of your ISS shot is unusual for me, at 55* north the trajectory always seems horizontal.

Thanks, Its been vertical for me every time I've seen it.  Goes straight overhead and gives me lots of time to see it.

Archived