So Small...

any laser will do. mine was a cheap one. but you need to check that it too is collimated.

to do that is simple, you need a long distance from laser and wall and place laser in a V block and rotate.

if the laser point of light remains unmoved the laser is ok, if the point of light makes an arc then it needs adjusting - but adjusting it if it is out is a little more intense.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rihard, 

as for the laser collimator, I can see it's a very useful tool and a 4 minute video on youtube shows everything very clearly, making collimation seem to be a 2 minute process.  I'm looking at a cheaper laser collimator: Omegon Newton adjusting laser 1.25".  However there are more expensive ones from the Hotech brand.  Then there are the extremely expensive holographic laser collimators.  Which one do you have and what would you recommend?

Hi bmontalto,

I guess I know which video you are referring to, it's the video that convinced me to buy one, and yes it is as easy as it looks :)

I just went for a Skywatcher laser collimator (£ 39).  Not sure if different brands are better as I am no expert, but I guess the other comments are right saying any laser will do as far as the laser itself is collimated :)

Archived