MaxVision 20mm 68 deg inbound

I used it for DSOs. While it was optically excellent I found the eye relief uncomfortable.

I am not totally sure about the eye relief, but I do notice I have some millimetres to spare in terms of eye relief on the 24, so I am taking the risk on the 20. If I like it I might get a second for binoviewing, if I don't maybe the kids will be VERY lucky this Xmas.

I am not totally sure about the eye relief, but I do notice I have some millimetres to spare in terms of eye relief on the 24, so I am taking the risk on the 20. If I like it I might get a second for binoviewing, if I don't maybe the kids will be VERY lucky this Xmas.

sounds like a good plan :)

I doubt you'll have a problem with it Michael. I wear specs, to begin with I had to press my glasses a bit against it to comfortably see the entire edges of the field stop, but adjusted it a bit and all is good. Not quite as comfy as a BST with 13mm eye relief to see to the edges of the entire field stop where you have quite  bit of room, but workable. Not sure I could live with the 16mm MV.

I doubt you'll have a problem with it Michael. I wear specs, to begin with I had to press my glasses a bit against it to comfortably see the entire edges of the field stop, but adjusted it a bit and all is good. Not quite as comfy as a BST with 13mm eye relief to see to the edges of the entire field stop where you have quite  bit of room, but workable. Not sure I could live with the 16mm MV.

Thanks, Alex. I will steer clear of the 16mm, that is definitely too short in terms of eye relief

Michael, I had this post in the back of my head as I just heavily used the 20mm quite a bit earlier just to make sure.  I must admit it is really touch and go. I have the top screwed all the way in, what I would say, if you are perhaps considering two for a bino viewer I'd think twice. To take in the entire field stop I have it right up against my glasses, two of them would make that harder, it will depend on how far your eyes are back and shape of you nose etc :D, Hope you get on  with it.

I find it acceptable, but just ! 

Defo, 16mm would be a no for me. If you can forgive not having a tiny bit of the edge of the field stop it becomes very easy though.

Michael, I had this post in the back of my head as I just heavily used the 20mm quite a bit earlier just to make sure.  I must admit it is really touch and go. I have the top screwed all the way in, what I would say, if you are perhaps considering two for a bino viewer I'd think twice. To take in the entire field stop I have it right up against my glasses, two of them would make that harder, it will depend on how far your eyes are back and shape of you nose etc :D, Hope you get on  with it.

I find it acceptable, but just ! 

Defo, 16mm would be a no for me. If you can forgive not having a tiny bit of the edge of the field stop it becomes very easy though.

Cheers Alex. I had the suspicion the 20 would be borderline, so I have only order the one EP, not two just yet. Let's first see how this one holds up for solar, and only if I really like it will I get a second

Bet you're quite excited, Michael :grin: Would love to hear your opinions and see some photos when you get a chance. I'm slowly, slowly saving for a dedicated solar scope (this is a year plan minimum) myself, so it will also be interesting to see how you find this power in picking out the subtle features.

Archived