NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar align cg4 advice

Jason Trott

Hi guys, I'm new to Stargazing and have purchased myself a Celestron c6n scope on a cg4 mount. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how best to align the mount? The mount is bog standard without the alignment scope thingy, but was wondering is this worth getting? Or is it easy enough to align without it?

Many thanks in advance,

Jason

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

The little lady in your photo will be idea for polar aligning, she looks like she will be the ideal height for looking though either the hole the polar scope goes into or the polar scope itself. :eek: :eek:

If she gets good at it she could make a fortune at star parties. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I think that all you can do is to set the latitude to (guess) 52 degrees, no location provided.

Make sure the mount is generally level, then peer through the aperture for the polar scope and get polaris in the middle as best you can.

OK it will be off but for visual anything you point at will be "trackable" by moving the RA adjustment for at least some time. Do you have motors on the mount.

Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated. Will get on and study those sites glowjet. Good idea Ronin, but she would have it aligned to peppa pig on the TV indoors.

I'm located in Bishopstoke just outside of Southampton. Unfortunately I don't yet have motors, but this is on my shopping list for after Christmas. Would setting up like this be OK for planetary photography with a DSLR?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Archived