Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with choosing filter size!!!

So I have been browsing the web for literally hours today trying to find out what size filter I will need for mounting a dslr onto the back of this http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/photographic/celestrondslrcameraattachmentkitforschmidtcassegraintelescopes.cfm

I know I want an ha, oiii, and sii filters, but I have absolutely no idea what size filter I will need. Any help is appreciated. This will all be going onto the back of an avx 8" sct. Thanks!

Not experienced with SCTs but this doesn't look like it has anywhere to attach filters e.g. internal threads. If you want to use 3 narrowband filters have you considered a filter wheel? They usually have T thread either side and you often get adaptors with them which would allow you to mount your DSLR's female T Thread to the filter wheel. They make changing filters much easier. You can get them in 2" or 1.25". I went for 1.25" as the filters are much, much cheaper than 2".

Good luck with narrowband on a DSLR, I'm embarking on it at the moment. You need very long exposures to get Ha through the pesky bayer matrix and in-body filters, you only pick up a fraction of the light (unless your DSLR is modded)!!! Just managed to get a glimpse of the rosette nebula in Ha but it required 10 minute exposures before it looked even remotely good.

cheers and good luck with it.

Archived