How strong is 12mm studding?

Andrew*

My plan for my astro station is to support each leg of an Orion pedestal with a length of 12mm studding. This means that my entire set up is supported by just three 12mm bolts :? I will naturally use nuts to secure it in place, but I'm still unsure about the stability of this. I also thought of filling the pedestal tube with concrete, to improve stability. This will mean even more weight on those three bolts. What really got me worried was those tales of altitude bolts bending inside the mount :shock:

Should I think about using thicker bolts, or maybe a support beneath the pillar, so that flexure along the legs is minimised?

However, the other side of me is thinking that this is a quality product designed to take heavy mounts and 12" reflectors. Plus, the legs on the pedestal are made from 10mm bolts. 12mm must put any worries aside.

3008_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, I don't think the outriggers are suspect, as long as they are steel. The 12mm bolts should be OK too, as long as they do not protrude too far through the threaded housing. If there is a large difference when you are making the levelling adjustments, then you would be better taking up large differences with shims of metal plates, and thereby keeping the amounts of threaded bolt protrusions the same length.

And as short as you possibly can. It should work fine.

Ron. :D

The tube looks quite solid as it is. It is captured at the base with those solid looking clamps, and what appears to be a large bushing in the top.

I would hesitate to bung concrete into it for the time being. If at a later date, you think it may be flexing a bit, it will not take long to do the job. It has to be on a permanent site if you fill it, as it goes without saying, the weight would be awkward.

Ron.

Archived