Iris Nebula NGC 7023 problem

The problem is that I cannot see it when taking 300 second pictures with a modified Canon 450d, an Equinox 80ed refractor and an Astronomik CLS clip filter. I also tried 600 seconds without success. I have tried twice, at least once I was in the right place as I afterwards plate solved the image with Astrotortilla. Both times I gave up. How long an exposure do I need to see this in a single image? Or if I take a lot of exposures and stack and process the images will it appear? The Bubble Nebula for example I can easily see  at least something in a single exposure. I think this must be very difficult to image! I have bad light pollution so would be limited to short exposures without the clip filter. Could it be filtering out the nebula? 

David 

The name of the game is taking lots of exposures, collecting as much data as you can, and a shedload of darks, flats and bias (they say the law of diominishing return kicks in at 30 of them, but still worth taking as many as you can, 50-100), if you use DSS try super pixel mode and Median Kappa-Sigma Clipping for darks, flats and bias.

Archived