Starting out.....mount before scope!

After weighing up all my options, I've decided to get a decent mount first. I was thinking of getting a alt az goto mount with a 102 achromatic refractor. But the cost of upgrading to a good mount and the having to sell the first seems a little wasteful. So ive chosen the trusty heq5 with a mind to upgrade to goto at a later point. Should have it by Wednesday!

Clive

Thanks guys......hoping to get a used 80mm apo early in the new year.

It doesn't necessarily need to be apochromatic. The Skywatcher ED80 is a semi-apochromatic refractor that does a good job with controlling CA, you could get one for about £250 - £300 2nd hand :).

It doesn't necessarily need to be apochromatic. The Skywatcher ED80 is a semi-apochromatic refractor that does a good job with controlling CA, you could get one for about £250 - £300 2nd hand :).

Thanks for that Naemeth, I thought the ED range WAS apo!......but saying that I saw an Equinox 80 going for £340!?

Plenty of time to plan it though! :rolleyes: 

Clive

Thanks for that Naemeth, I thought the ED range WAS apo!......but saying that I saw an Equinox 80 going for £340!?

Plenty of time to plan it though! :rolleyes: 

Clive

Not entirely apo, nearly though ;).

Do you know what cheap apos are called? Newtonians :D.

I'd have a serious think about that Equinox, would be a good buy :).

Archived