NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece recommendations

will hopefully be receiving Megrez 72 by end of January.

I have a skymax 127 Mak with 1.25" diagonal and my other eyepieces are 1.25", Swan 9mm, Baader Ortho 7mm and two Skywatchers that shipped with the Mak at 25 and 10mm.

i want to get an eyepiece around £100 mark or under for the 72mm APO. I have read up a bit on exit pupil and true field of view. i was looking for an eyepiece around 25mm to 32mm. as my diagonal is 1.25" i am thinking of staying with this barrel diameter. is there a maximum mm (32mm 40mm) eyepiece that i can use with a 1.25 barrel, will going over a certain mm cause me a problem.

so far i am considering Televue 25 or 32 straight plossl, cant afford the nice toys, or a SWAN 20mm as the barrel for 25 is 2". the televue scope would be fast so i am assuming i need to get eyepiece that has no drop in clarity towards edge of field, i understand that televue plossl are tested on f4 scope but are they too old now to compete with newer models. I have read varying reviews of the hyperion 24mm.

any tips or advice from all, and in particular those with shorter faster scopes. the 72mm has focal length of 432mm.

i would like widefield views around the 2.5 to 3+ degree mark. i have more powerful eyepieces already that i hope would be adequate

in particular i wanted to ensure i had respectable widefield views even off axis

i would like widefield views around the 2.5 to 3+ degree mark. i have more powerful eyepieces already that i hope would be adequate

in particular i wanted to ensure i had respectable widefield views even off axis

A Meade 5000 26mm might work well in a Megrez 72mm - that would give you a 3.6 degree TFoV and they are pretty sharp I believe. They cost less than £100 as well :rolleyes:

John

A Meade 5000 26mm might work well in a Megrez 72mm - that would give you a 3.6 degree TFoV and they are pretty sharp I believe. They cost less than £100 as well :rolleyes:

I would second that recommendation. I have used the 20mm version (unlikely to differ greatly in performance) and was impressed at it's performance. However, if you don't mind a slightly tighter eye relief, it might be worth waiting for a 24mm Tele Vue Wide Field second hand. Tom Yates had one going for 70 quid recently, and for that money it's very very good. :lol:

Cheers

Andrew

Archived