NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ice giants

tom714uk

Bagged Uranus and Neptune last night for the first time (actually I think I spotted Uranus with 10x50s when I was starting out a couple of years ago but I never confirmed it). Both were just perceptible as discs at 200x (Neptune only just) and didn't show any colour, even when defocused - perhaps next time I'll try masking the aperture down as I've heard that can help with colour. Neptune was a lot harder to find. Eventually I located what I was 90% sure was the planet in the grip of a "claw" of stars; I've just been on CalSky and confirmed it - see attached screenshot!

Tom

post-15425-0-36211100-1382607149.png

Nice work on tracking them down.  I think that you need more light to see colour, not less.  Therefore masking the aperture down would just makes things worse.  It should improve the contrast though, but that is something else.

Cheers,

Chris

I have heard some of the planetary sketchers talk about deliberately looking at a white light from time to time to ensure their eyes are not dark adapted.  The theory is that the cones do not work when your eyes are dark adapted so you do not see colour.  I have never done this myself so it could be rubbish for all I know!

Cheers,

Chris

Archived