NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Considering Skywatcher 300PDS + EQ8 mount

Hi, I've been considering a CGEM DX 1100 HD or a LX600 12" but have been looking at the cost of a EQ8 mount + Skywatcher 300PDS + EQ8 mount and looks like a good deal (£4K rather than £5-6K) in terms of a stable mount and aperature).  Does anyone know about pros/cons of this vs. the aforementioned SCTs in terms of both AP and visual use (apart from the size...weight compares quite well).

Thanks

Paul

I know the EQ8 can take a fair load, but the 300 always seems a bit overkill for any scenario. Unless you really need that much focal length? 

Have you considered a Quattro instead? I have a 250 and its basically a sail. Even on a EQ8 i imagine a gust of wind here and there would affect an image. 

(I can't comment on the SCT's, sorry). You might consider an RC though? 

Good luck

Cheers

Is the Quattro OK for visual too?  Read that it was good for AP in another community but problems with visual in terms of Coma / distortion due to the fast F/ratio...don't know if this is true though.

Paul

For visual use I'd go for longer focal length of the 300DPS- Quattros are more inclined towards imaging (though the 300DPS wouldn't be that bad either at F4.9) . The EQ8 should be easily capable of the load. The 12" scope should give nice deep sky & planetary views ~44% more light than a 10" scope. The tube is much bigger on the 300DPS so the SCT's might be preferable if you have an exposed (windy) site or need portability?

Archived