Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade LX200R 8" OTA

Hi again folks. If you have seen my post regarding advice on the Celestron C9.25 you'll know that I'm after a new OTA & mount. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to commit myself to the Celestron 9.25 SCT on the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount. But as some of you have suggested that the EQ6 Pro would be better suited to the C9.25, I am now considering a lighter smaller OTA of 8" aperture. To this end the Meade LX200R Advanced Ritchey-Chrétien has come to my attention as a tube assembly to attach to the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount. This is an affordable alternative to the C9.25 SCT. I'm afraid there is no way I can afford the EQ6 Pro. As the OTA is bare I will have to buy a finder scope and diagonal, but I can afford those within my budget.

Any thoughts on the Meade LX200R OTA? I remember reading a first light report in Astronomy Now not long after it was introduced and it received good plaudits. What do you guys think? Anyone got one?

Also, while I have sought advice via e-mail from Ted Harrison FRAS, Retail Manager at Telescope House, about fitting the OTA to the Skywatcher mount, I find I'm a little confused. The OTA comes with a straight bar along the base of the tube. Ted tells me that the bar almost fits the HEQ5 Pro but may require additional holes drilling to the dovetail that comes with the mount to attach the Meade bar. Not sure what he means there, may get back to him, but your thoughts first please fellas.

Brinders

Archived