Getting good alignment

Hi

I have a nexstar 4 SE and I'm using my orion 80 A short tube refractor on top of it...I used sky align that's three bright stars...it said matched but when I selected adromeda galaxy it did not point to the right place... Does anyone have a nexster 4 SE? And could they let me no what's important to put into the hand set before aligning

Thanks

Mirrorgirl

Standard items are:
Your position as Latitude and Longitude, yours may want Longitude first.

Timezone (think 0 on yours)

Date, as mm/dd/yy,

Time,

DST (presently Off ot No).

They usually keep the last position and assume you have not moved to somewhere different.

Reading the manual yours should display the location and ask if it is correct (OK) before I suspect asking Date,Time, DST. Do not think they maintain the time but Celestrons might.

If I think of more I will add them.

Sounds odd but it does know it is a 4SE?

The Meades I have initially ask what scope they are as in ETX-90, 105, 125.

Hi

I,m not putting in latitude and longitude, I just put in Birmingham that's the closest to me and it sets the longitude and latitude for me....also how do I get to the time zone on my hand set it does not say in instructions

Thanks

Mirrorgirl

This has some guesswork involved.

Select/Press

ALIGN - scope will ask if Birmingham is correct.

Press UNDO.

Use the Scroll UP/DOWN Key to get CUSTOM DATABASE displayed.

Press ENTER.

Guess scope will ask for Name of: Location, Longitude, Latitude and Timezone.

As text I suggest "DBY" (keep it short), Long = 001  30W, Lat = 53  00N, Timezone = 0.

Then Save/Confirm/OK/Enter as required.

You may be asked for Date, Time, DST also now. *** Manual implies it may ask for TIMEZONE here for custom entry. ***

Think the Meades ask for Date+Time+DST even though it is unnecessary. Yours may well ask as you have started out down the Align option so it will be thinking of aligning and so need them.

Make sure time is correct format can be AM/PM or in 24 hour format, if entering 08:00 make sure it is 08:00PM

I assume it is getting all the data required for alignment just not in the order I am used to, but it is a different scope.

Birmingham, England is about 30 min south, not sure how much error these scopes can correct for.

You would not have been asked for the timezone as I would say it was part of England/Birmingham data already present.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on my SE mount and changed to an NEQ6 - not looked back, accuracy is fantastic.  I tried my SE mount over about one year - put coordinates in exactly, time was accurate, alignment was gooe - but go to was always poor.  Since I have changed my mount I have seen so much more of the night sky.

Do persevere though - I put my SE mount problems down to having an 8SE, and that was too much OTA for the mount, the wobble was horrendous.  The 4SE wont have this problem so you my overcome the issue

Archived