NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with DARV alignment.

I'm attempting to polar align my mount for astrophotography using the DARV method. I'm using a DSLR and Canon EOS Utility to take the picture and look at the star trail left.

I understand most of the procedure except the camera orientation and which button to press to move the mount. I have the Dual Axis Motor Drive for CG4 mount.

What I think is that when you get the scope pointing South and then East/West, you want to get the star to move from right-left across the sensor/screen. On the dual motor axis, it has R.A for left and right and Dec for up and down - is it the RA left and right that I want to use?

Is it just a case of putting the scope in the correct position and then rotating the camera until the target star moves left-right when the left-right buttons are pressed on the dual axis motor drive?

I used the method the first time I imaged a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to work well. I was able to get subs of 90 seconds with no streaks. However, I tried it last night and I couldn't seem to get the camera in the correct position and forgot which buttons I'm meant to use to move the mount and it was a miserable affair altogether.

Hoping to get back out tonight and having a more successful night once I know what I'm doing!

Robert Vices' article here ... http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2838

Not much I can add to it apart from aligning the camera to start with on a bright star that you can easily see in the Liveview sceen , you can then test the E-W buttons to see which way the star moves.

I get confused with Reflector vs Refractor vs Mak vs SCT image orientation and always start this way personally.

Archived