Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First night out with the camera

Clear sky, and desperately keen to try camera out, so in back garden, ok I know there is a degree of light pollution but I set up nonetheless.

Canon 5dMk3, Astrotrac, 28-105 zoom lens and heavy duty tripod.

Took lots of photos and have not stacked any of them yet, that's later today, but just wanted to share this one single photo of a large shooting star that went across in front of me right near the end of the session - the first I have ever seen !!!

Ok perhaps the exposure is slightly too long with the stars in the background, possibly not accurate focused but feel well chuffed to have seen and captured this... onwards and upwards I hope from now on.

gallery_32096_2772_34790.jpg

Is that star-trails I see? I've been considering getting an equivalent piece of equipment to the Astrotrac, so... just wondering, is it easy to end up with trails like that?

Cool picture none the less. :) I've never managed to get a shooting star.. uhm, meteorite or piece of space-junk myself. :)

First time I used it, so too early to comment - it would be pretty easy for someone reasonably versed in the stars to set up - but I was struggling to find Polaris (might have been down to the angle of our garden) so in the end I just set it up and ran it.

Any trailing is probably down to the exposure being slightly too long I would think

Been going through other frames prior to starting stacking and have found another streak across the sky but much further away this time and it goes through a couple of exposures it was so far away - never saw it with my naked eye though

Archived