Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guidescope vs Off-axis guider

WardyP

Could anyone advise on the best option for guiding with regards to an off-axis guider vs. guidescope.  The local store recommended an off-axis guider, saying it would be cheaper but doesn't seem to be much in it between this and a guidescope.

Looking online, the off-axis guider looks a bit complicated with regards to spacers to ensure same point of focus for the autoguider vs the imager and also only a narrow fov for finding a guidestar vs the object you want to image.

However, equally (and this is just going on the stuff I've found online) there seems to be an issue with guisdescopes in terms of what it sees being different to actual telescope due to mirror movement or movement in terms of the guidescope moving vs. the imaging scope.

Could anyone advise or venture opinions on the 2 imaging options.  I'm in the process of buying a telescope and want to understand the options for imaging further down the line.  Have swung over to buying a CGEM recently but originally planned on buying an LX600 and this tempting in light of the above due to Starlock which according to the product description, seems simple (albeit, of course this description is designed to sell it).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Could anyone advise on the best option for guiding with regards to an off-axis guider vs. guidescope.  The local store recommended an off-axis guider, saying it would be cheaper but doesn't seem to be much in it between this and a guidescope.

Looking online, the off-axis guider looks a bit complicated with regards to spacers to ensure same point of focus for the autoguider vs the imager and also only a narrow fov for finding a guidestar vs the object you want to image.

However, equally (and this is just going on the stuff I've found online) there seems to be an issue with guisdescopes in terms of what it sees being different to actual telescope due to mirror movement or movement in terms of the guidescope moving vs. the imaging scope.

Could anyone advise or venture opinions on the 2 imaging options.  I'm in the process of buying a telescope and want to understand the options for imaging further down the line.  Have swung over to buying a CGEM recently but originally planned on buying an LX600 and this tempting in light of the above due to Starlock which according to the product description, seems simple (albeit, of course this description is designed to sell it).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

The off axis guider will work well with your LX600, it is more rigid than the usual guidescope affair and will also save you  quite a bit of weight, but it has a few issues that you have to be aware of, first is that it requires the most sensitive guide camera that you could afford, then you are really resticted to the stars that are in the FOV of your scope for guiding. You also have think about the filter arrangement as it will be in the light path and will cut the light to the guide camera and last is the dreaded backfocus distance for any reducer or CCD that you may use and it has to be right.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks

I didn't think I'd need an off axis guider for the LX600 though...is the Starlock not an alternative to this or a guidescope / autoguider package?  Thought that between the lack of mirror movement and the Starlock being more integrated with the LX600 that this would act like a Guidescope + Autoguider but be more automated / need less intervention?

Paul

Archived