NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

counterweight question

I got a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ-MD and my question the black screw that lock the weight on my telescope why are they to short I can't even lock them on the counterweight bar?i thought they where to short to even lock under the safety screw.I hope someone can helpe out:)

I just lost about this.

Remove the locking screws completely and look inside the hole in the counterweights, sitting inside the hole you should be able to see a short aluminium pin, when the locking screw is tightened the screw pushes the pin against the counterweight shaft to lock the weight in place.

If the locking screw is unscrewed too far then the pin can drop out of the hole and wedge sideways inside the counterweight preventing the weight from locking.

If this has happened a thin screwdriver or similar can be used to wiggle the pin back into it's slot and then the locking screw placed back in the threaded hole, this should fix the problem.

If the aluminium locking pins are missing then contact Celestron support for replacements, if the pins are there but the locking screws are still to short to lock the weights to the bar then contact Celestron support for complete replacement weights.

A temporary fix in case of too short a screw thread is to add a ball bearing in to the threaded hole between the aluminium pin and the locking screw.

Archived