NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Eclipse

Stephen Green

I have brought a Cannon 450D to take images of a solar eclipes that we are going to end of next month can ant one give me any ideas of settings I would need for this and what fillters, I have one lense which is EFS 18-55mm and another cannon zoom lens  EF 75-300mm any help most  welcome 

Stephen

Solar isn't really my thing, but I have used Baader AstroSolar Safety Film which won't break the bank (available from FLO). You will need to do a little bit of DIY but there will be plenty there to do both lenses, though the best would be the 75-300mm at 300mm on a tripod and preferably with a wired shutter release.

I'd use an ISO of 100, and the lens wide open or stopped down a little, manual mode and manual focus would probably be best. Use LiveView to get exposure correct with a full sun. Practice before the event!

Is this going to be a total or partial eclipse? That is why manual exposure mode would be best, if it was a total eclipse, then the camera would probably over-expose on an auto mode at the point of totality.

Of course I could be speaking total twaddle since I have never actually imaged the sun during an eclipse.....

Archived