NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore Scientific and Celestron Eyepiece Opinions

I have a new scope on order, but kept two eyepieces from my previous scope.  Just wanting to know the opinion of others on what you think the eyepieces rank as far as quality goes.

First is the Clestron Omni Plossl Eyepiece 1.25" 40mm, 43 degree apparent field of view.  Fully multi-coated.  Relatively small box.

The other is an Explore Scientific 30mm, 82 degree Series N2 Waterproof Eyepiece.  Fully multi-coated.  2".  This one is very large!  Their part no. EPWP8230-00

The new scope that is in transit to me is the Meade 14" LX850.  I will get a 2" diagonal and an adapter for the 1.25", if it is worth even keeping/using the 1.25".

Any thoughts on these eyepieces would be appreciated.  Thanks.

:cool:

My initial thought is that there is no point keepng the 40mm plossl as the ES 30mm shows much more sky and at a higher magnification. It shows almost the maximum amount of sky possible using a 2" fitting - the 40mm plossl shows much less as it is limited by the 1.25" barrel (this is why the 40mm has a 43 degree afov when a plossl normally shows 50 degrees).

Both should be reasonable, the ES should not have any questions about it, Celestron plossl's are pretty good and in the LX would perform without trouble.

Keep them both, they may have much the same field of view but selling the plossl is not going to make a fortune and it is useful to have an inexpensive selection as well as a higher end set available. There are times when taking a costly set just seems unnesessary.

Only potential problem on the plossl is that being 40mm FL the eyerelief will be about 26-28mm so you will have to hold your eye some distance from the actual eyepiece, this might cause you a bit of a problem

My goodness, that's one splendid looking bit of kit.

Unless there's some reason to get rid of them sooner, I think hanging on and giving them a go would be sensible.

The Meade is f/8, so you shouldn't have as much of a problem as the bigger faster 'scopes have with EPs.

Cheers

Archived